Halloween is a fun time for kids of all ages. Dressing up as your favorite super hero or movie character while ghoulishly strolling around local neighborhoods with friends can make memories that last a lifetime. The goal, as always, is to score an abundant amount of sugary treats and return home safely.
The Doar, Drill, and Skow team want you to have a safe and fun holiday, so we’ve put together our TOP TEN SAFETY TIPS:
- Use makeup instead of masks. Masks make it hard for children to see what’s around them, including cars.
- Halloween safety starts with the costume. Costumes should be flame-resistant and should fit properly to prevent trips and falls
- Avoid items such as over-sized shoes, high heels, long dresses and long capes
- Be seen with brightly colored outfits and use reflective tape so drivers can see your children
- Dress your child for the weather. Add layers if needed.
- Use crosswalks and carry a flashlight or glow stick even at dusk. Stay on sidewalks that are well lit.
- Tell your children not to eat anything until they get home.
- Use alternative to candles in your pumpkins, such as a flashlight or a battery-operated candle.
- Put out a teal-colored pumpkin or a poster of one in your window to let children with food allergies know that what you’re handing out is allergen-free (e.g., not food).
- DON’T DRIVE AND TEXT. Wisconsin state law forbids driving “any motor vehicle while composing or sending an electronic text message or an electronic mail message.”[i]
Have a wonderful time dressing up and trick-or-treating this year! Our Doar, Drill & Skow team want everyone to have a safe Halloween. We love seeing costumes, so please post and share your costumes on our facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/DoarDrillSkow/
Since 1883, the attorneys at Doar, Drill & Skow have represented families, individuals and businesses across Wisconsin and Minnesota in areas of personal injury, criminal defense, family law and divorce, civil litigation, estate planning, and trusts, workers compensation and more. We are recognized as one of western Wisconsin’s most skilled and successful personal injury law firms and have built our reputation on what we achieve for our clients. We are committed to being your advocate, regardless of your circumstances.
DISCLAIMER: The Doar, Drill, and Skow blog is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal or medical advice. References to laws are based on general legal practices and vary by location. Information reported may come from secondary news sources. We do handle these types of cases, but whether or not the individuals and/or loved ones involved in these types of situations choose to be represented by a law firm is a personal choice we respect.
Should you find any of the information incorrect, we welcome you to contact us with corrections.