Q: I have been injured. What should I do next?

A: Your first action should be to seek necessary medical attention. Then, find a qualified law firm that is experienced in Wisconsin personal injury litigation. Don't assume that an insurance company is looking out for your best interests. You are on your own. Insurance companies will look to minimize their obligation through a quick settlement - one that may not be fair to you once everything is taken into consideration.

Q: What type of Workers Compensation benefits am I entitled to?

A: When an employee suffers a worker’s compensation claim, they must first report the injury to their employer.  In the state of Wisconsin, this must be done within 30 days of the date of injury, but really should be done immediately.  The longer you wait to report the injury, the greater your chance of having the claim denied by the insurer. Once you have reported your injury to your employer, it is their responsibility to report the claim to the insurer.Injured workers will be entitled to relevant medical care for their injuries. In addition, they are entitled to the payment of weekly benefits for temporary (Temporary Total Disability) and permanent disabilities (Permanent Partial or Permanent Total Disability). It is important to note, however, that if your injury causes you to miss less than seven days of work, there is a three-day waiting period before your benefits payments will begin.  That means that you will not receive compensation for the first three days you are out of work.  This does not apply to injuries lasting longer than seven days. In all cases, the payment of wage loss under a worker’s compensation claim is 2/3 of your average weekly wage, not your full weekly wage, with a maximum weekly payment of $808.00.

When an insurer issues a Notice of Intent to Discontinue benefits, this means that they are no longer willing to pay for your medical care or wage loss. It is their opinion that your injuries should have resolved and you should be able to return to your employment at full capacity.  NOIDs don’t necessarily reflect the recommendations of your doctor, so it is important to consult with a qualified Worker’s Compensation attorney if and when this occurs, to consider your rights. Returning to work prematurely or ending necessary medical care against the recommendations of your doctor could result in greater bodily harm. 

Q: I was injured at work and it was my fault. Can I still get Workers' Compensation benefits?

A:  Yes. Generally, Workers' Compensation benefits must be paid to the injured employee, regardless of fault.

Q:  Can I be fired from my job if I have been arrested?

A: The short answer is yes, probably. Many employees work under an “at-will” agreement, meaning they can be terminated at any time, without cause. That said, most employers define general scenarios in their employee handbooks that would constitute termination. The nature of your employment as well as your position with the company will often dictate your employer’s reaction, as well. If you’ve been arrested, contact an experienced criminal defense attorney right away to understand your rights and obtain proper legal counsel.

Q: I plan to interview several Wisconsin law firms. Will I have to pay for my first meeting with Doar Drill & Skow?

A: There is no fee or commitment required for an initial consultation.

Q: How are legal fees structured? Will the firm work under a contingent fee?

A: Our Wisconsin personal injury cases are almost always handled on a contingent fee basis. That means there is no cost to you until a settlement is reached or a decision rendered. Our fees will come out of that sum.

Q: What will I owe Doar Drill & Skow if my injury case is not successful?

A: Nothing. But if you have a legitimate case, there usually is a settlement or judgment, from which we will draw a certain percentage as our fee.

Q: What type of damages can I expect to recover?

A: There is no way to easily predict damage settlements. Each case is different. As part of our evaluation, we will investigate similar claims and exchange opinions among members of the firm to determine a recommendation on a fair and equitable settlement.

Q: How long will it take to complete my case?

A: We will not settle your case until you complete your treatment. Investigating a claim can also take a significant amount of time. Most cases are settled within 18 months. However, it may take longer to take a case to trial.

Q: Will my case go to trial or can I expect an out-of-court settlement?

A: This depends on the complexity of the case, the willingness of the other party to make an offer and your willingness to accept the offer, based upon our counsel to you. Most cases are settled out of court.

Q: What if Doar Drill & Skow can't take my case?

A: We will give you our best opinion - regardless of whether or not we accept your case. Our reputation has been built upon effectiveness, honesty and candor. We will tell you if a case is not right for us.